What no one tells you about the role
What product management is
- Being the heart, mind, and voice of the user
- Facilitating cross-functional teamwork
- Making product trade-offs
- Meeting an end-goal with fixed time and resources
- Leading people along a product journey
- Being positive and practical
- Making tough calls with little information
What product management is not
- Being the most important voice
- Being the only idea-generator
- Being a designer
- Being a programmer
- Managing QA
- Optimizing websites
- Writing marketing collateral
Product management is not what you think it is.
- You’re not managing a product. You’re managing the problem it solves.
- Your product is only as good as a user’s perception of it.
- Product Managers are neither designers nor engineers.
- It’s not about being a star — It’s about managing a universe.
This article has a valid discussion/overview of product managers, but I would argue that product managers may have strengths in design and engineering as some are from those departments and promoted into PM position. They have a greater understanding for work in a cross discipline team, collaboration, and empathize with the developers. They may have the tendencies to have a more connected/closer connection and better perspective of customers needs. In hindsight, better decisions are made from a knowledgeable background/well rounded product manager.
Click on the title link above for the full article!